Jude 1-4, 20-23
Written to: “them that are sanctified by God the Father and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called”
Problem: “Certain men crept in unawares” (lack of spiritual diligence in “letting one slip by”)
Problem: “ungodly men” (lack of spiritual discretion in allowing that kind of man into a position of authority)
Problem: “turning the grace of God into lasciviousness” (lack of spiritual discernment in allowing “license for liberty”)
Problem: “and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ” (lack of spiritual determination in not standing up against Christ deniers”
Modern application of problems:
Modernism is creeping into churches all over the country.
Ungodly men: numerous scandals permeating “churches”
Christ deniers: cults like Jehovah’s (false) witnesses, Mormons….
Also, any “denomination” that believes that we must do something else to be saved…. That Christ did not do it all.
Pentecostals believe that in order to be saved one must be baptized and one must speak in tongues.
Catholics believe that you must belong to their organization.
Many believe that God has selected those who will be saved and selected those that will go to Hell.
Denying “whomsoever will”
1. (verse 20) Spend time in study.
A. Going to church: Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
B. Studying God’s Word: 2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2. Spend time in supplication: “praying in the Holy Ghost”.
3. Spend time in subjugation: “”keep yourselves in the love of God”.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
4. Spend time in surrender: “looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ” Confession to the Lord Jesus Christ.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
5. Spend time in sympathy: “And of some have compassion, making a difference” Work out your faith by showing someone else by your actions.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
6. Spend time in soul-warning: “And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire”. We need to be faithful to warn others of what the future holds for those who know not the Lord.